On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:53 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Just taking a little straw poll here: what do listers consider the best pieces of music to come out of the 1920's? Genre is unimportant -- go ahead and nominate Tin Pan Alley songs and Jelly Roll Morton pieces alongside serial works, if you like.

My vote goes for Puccini's Turandot, with second place to Rhapsody in Blue. Not quite serial nor Tin Pan Alley, but obliquely related in each case....

I may change my mind if someone reminds me of some great piece I'm forgetting, but most of my favorites turn out to be from 1910-1919.

mdl