Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
[snip]

Keep in mind that a contract may not be used to vacate guaranteed rights, and less offensive practices have been subject to government regulation. Regulation is the unwelcome last step, of course, but corporate recalcitrance may require the language-and-law solution. Just consider Coda/MM and its ilk to be corporate intellectual property polluters. Polluters rarely clean up of their own accord, and tethered customers will be the software industry's Love Canal.

Of course, there's always the competition -- we could all start using Sibelius. Oh wait, they use the same authentication process. So we could all switch to using . . . Hmm, there seems to be a problem here. We end-users have no bargaining power in this situation because there is no other professional quality notation software we can switch to.

Graphire, as you point out, is defunct and so isn't supporting their software anymore and we can't buy copies even if we wanted to.

Sibelius uses the same tethered authentication process.

So what is your suggestion as to what sort of bargaining power we have to use against MakeMusic? We could all switch to using Score, I guess. Except that it wasn't a Mac program, as I recall, so Mac users would be out of luck, and none of us have machines that have DOS installed anymore, so the rest of us would be hard pressed to make that switch.

I am very interested in what sort of leverage we have to force MakeMusic to stop tethering their software. I would love to have it untethered but I can't see what alternative I have, nor what power I have to make MakeMusic listen. Their premier product these days is SmartMusic, so it seems they have already stopped caring very much about the Finale user.

--
David H. Bailey