On 10 Mar 2005 at 21:24, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> Phil Daley schrieb:
> > Does FinaleV3 run on any current MacOS?
>
> I haven't tried it, but I am pretty sure it will run just fine under
> Classic. MIDI won't work, but that probably doesn't work under XP
> either, does it?

I can't say for certain, but it's actually quite likely to work,
because WinFin3.x was a 16-bit program.

When the first 32-bit version of WinFin came out (97), MIDI was
supported on NT-based Windows (only NT 4 at the time) only in the 16-
bit version (at that time, Coda was providing both 32-bit and 16-bit
versions of Finale on the same installation disk).

The reason 16-bit worked and not 32-bit was because 16-bit
applications bypass the hardware abstraction layers underlying the 32-
bit Windows API. Getting MIDI to work in NT was a project that Coda
had substantial difficulty with because of the translation problems.

So, I think your assumptions are actually quite wrong.

Microsoft has always provided 16-bit compatibility in all its 32-bit
Windows versions (Win9x was actually a hybrid, support the Win32 API,
but with significant 16-bit components within the OS itself). I have
never run onto a 16-bit Windows program that does not work just fine
on NT-based Windows (NT 4, Win2K, WinXP).

And that includes MIDI.

> The real problem would be to get it installed, since it came on
> Floppies, and no Mac these days has a floppy drive.

If you can get access to a floppy drive, you could copy them to a CD
and surely use that for installation.