At 01:46 PM 03/19/2005, Gerry Kirk wrote:
>Whenever I write an arrangement and then create parts via "export," I
>spend (unnecessary?) time tweaking the individual parts. Specifically,
>how do I--
>--have the name of the instrument appear on all pages following p. 1.

I don't believe there's a good automatic way of doing this. What I do is create a header in my score (attach to page range 2 through end) before extracting parts that says "Instrument". In the extracted parts, I then change "Instrument" to whatever the instrument name is. Another way of doing this is to create the header in the score using a text insert (Text | Inserts) like Description, or some other File Info field you're not using. Then in the parts do File | File Info, change Description to be the instrument name, and you're done.

>--keep spacing of systems consistent after p. 1

Not sure what you mean here. Spacing between systems should be consistent throughout the document, based on your settings in Options | Page Format for Parts in the score you're extracting from. I usually turn *off* the Space Systems Evenly option in the Extract Parts dialog, because if your last page only has 2 or 3 systems on it, you will wind up with lots of space in between them.

>--make page breaks appear where they are beneficial to players (such as
>at multi-measure rests)

In Finale 2004 and later, there is a Smart Page Turns plugin that is supposed to help you identify these places, but I don't like it much. Either way, you wind up doing a certain amount of work by hand. Let's say there's an MM rest in the middle of the last system, and you want that to be a page break. You have to push the measures after the rest to the next system, and then you're probably going to want to move some measures around at the bottom of the current page in order to even up the measure spacing. (TGTools has a great plugin to help with this.) Then you insert the page break, unlock the top system on the next page, and reflow measures.

All in all, there will always be a fair amount of manual work to "pretty up" extracted parts. What I've just described here is my usual method, which I think is fairly representative of what many people do. But I'm sure other listers will chime in with methods that vary greatly from what I've described.

Aaron.