I AM arguing for consistency. I expect NO pickup measures to be numbered, no matter whether they are complete or not.

What's the difference between a "complete pickup measure" and a "one-bar intro"?

For any of the tunes I cited, is there any question? They are all clearly pickups.

None of the tunes you mentioned have full 4-beat pickups -- they are all 3.5 beats or less, so they should be notated as incomplete -- i.e. pickup -- measures. That way, the first complete measure is also the first measure of the tune. See how easy that is?

[In other words, "Daahoud" in the original Real Book is notated incorrectly. That initial eighth rest shouldn't be there.]

I can't think of a tune that has a full 4-beat "pickup" starting with a note on beat one of the pickup measure.

You mentioned that you wrote (or arranged?) a tune that had a 4.5 beat pickup. Like I said, it doesn't *really* matter to me what you call the first complete measure (which happens to be part of the extended "pickup") -- "1" would be standard practice, and I wouldn't recommend anything else, but I suppose if you really wanted to be different, "A" would be all right, "0" would be idiosyncratic but acceptable, etc. Or, if it's just a lead sheet, you can dispense with measure numbers entirely, so long as you have rehearsal letters. But I really think you need to call it *something*, and indicate that on the part in some way. Every measure needs a unique ID, even if it's just "the bar before A" (or, in this case, you could also have "the pickup to the bar before A").

The hair I want to avoid splitting is the one where a 7-eighth-note pickup is NOT numbered (or maybe it is, if it is notated as a full measure?)'

Pickups should not be notated as full measures.

Do you put a double bar on the left side of measure 2 in that case, to keep the form clear?

Of course.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]