Owain Sutton wrote:

David W. Fenton wrote:

Or they aren't even trying.

I think Finale, with its unlinked templates and unlinked libaries, is terribly flawed at a basic conceptual level

My bet is the first notation software which does that (Sibelius,
Finale or the newly developping Notion software ... will eventually be the last engraving software
standing. It will be such a huge time-saver that everybody using
anything else will jump ship and begin using that program.

Fully agreed - although I assume the emphatic suggestion of complete conversion refers to a select groups of 'engravers', rather than the wider field of users of notation software?

I'm not so sure about that -- composers who write music which have scores and parts and use engraving software such as Finale or Sibelius will benefit from such a feature immensely, not just engravers.

I know I am constantly going back to older works of mine and changing things -- it's a real pain to have to also change them in the parts.

I think David's idea, if I understand it correctly, of a sort of expanded Special Part Extraction, whereby you turn that on for a selected staff (or group) and get the page layout exactly as you want it, complete with page turns, systems-per-page, everything, and then SAVE that setting uniquely for that staff or group so that every time you turn on special part extraction, those settings are called up and you're set to go with the page layout exactly as the previous time, and with different settings saved for EACH staff or group in a score, is a real winner of an idea!

I think the only users of notation software who wouldn't benefit from such a feature would be those who only turn out lead-sheets or keyboard music, anything where parts are never extracted from the original.

--
David H. Bailey