Karl Kohn wrote:

In the score I would like to be able to pair certain instruments on a single staff, like, Flutes 1&2, Oboes 1&2, etc. If I entered a pair of instruments in the score in a single staff, is it possible then to extract the parts for Flute 1 and for Flute 2 separately?! (And, of course, also for Oboes, Bassoons, Alto Saxophones, Horns, Trombones...)

If there is no way to do this, does it mean that one needs to enter each instrument on a separate staff in order to be able to extract each part separately. Right, or not?! The down-side to that is that it makes for a very long (vertical) score when you have a large instrumentation.

Finale is capable of handling up to eight separate parts on each staff (four layers in each of two voices). It is trivial to define staves for flutes, Oboes, &c, and place flute 1 in layer 1, and flute 2 in layer 2. However, if it were me, I'd begin by entering the parts for each instrument on a separate staff, on the principle that it is more likely less involved to do it this way, and later combine flutes 1 & 2 into a single staff, than to place flutes 1 & 2 into a single staff now, and later later have to separate them out into separate staves.

ns