This is how I did it in OS9 before OSX. I got these instructions from here on the list, I think it was from Johannes Gebauer. I couldn't deviate from this procedure at all without causing all kinds of problems, including odd font substitution issues, but this way worked every time. I used Acrobat 4.

Creating PDFs in Finale

In the Chooser, select Adobe PS as the printer

In Finale, select Postscript settings> font inclusion All

and Printer-Specific Settings> resolution 1200 dpi.

Print, but print to Destination: File.

set Distiller to Press Optimised. It will remember this setting for next time.

Drag the resulting .ps file from the print operation onto the Distiller icon or into the Distiller window. The PDF will be created in the same directory as the .ps file was.

Christopher