When I first started using Finale in the dark ages of 1988,  :-)  I tended
to repeat larger sections (choruses or verses) of the pieces I worked on,
and was very happy to get away from the use of col bars.  However, the major
reason I avoided repeats was the difficulty, without the availability of
staff lists for repeats, of getting them into all the parts.  I don't know
how many times I got to a session and discovered in the read through that
the repeats were only in the top part of each group.  It didn't happen
*that* often because I, pretty much, just stopped using repeats.

Simple repeats are quite easy to manage, now, with the addition of staff
lists, effective plugins, and much easier playback. These days, for a
musical passage that could repeat, I might look at the possibility of
changing or adding just one or two elements, enough to alter some things,
but preserve a sense of familiarity.

If needed, I do now use repeats in my scores.  Any tendency toward fewer
repeats has less to do with Finale than it does with my writing.

Don Hart