On 18 Apr 2005, at 9:48 PM, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

Darcy wrote:

The Finale 2005 install CD, which contains both Mac and PC versions, contains only 241.4 MB of data.

Got it; so the download time on a 56k dialup, based upon the amount of time it took to download the most recent update to 2k5, will be about 23 hours, instead of the 70 I originally estimated.

I don't imagine that anyone still using dialup would even try to take advantage of the option to download. In fact, Coda could even make it a requirement that people wanted to download the update must have a broadband connection.

But people with broadband connections routinely download files that are 241 MB and larger. And the downloads wouldn't even be that large, since the Mac people wouldn't have to download all the PC-specific files and vice versa.

And Coda could save on manufacturing the physical CDs (and printing the quick reference cards, etc).

I can't say for certain without more information as to the number of units sold per upgrade, and details about MakeMusic!'s contracts with its vendors, but since MakeMusic! is still going to have to provide CD-ROMs for people who do not have an internet connection, and those (such as some users overseas), who pay for internet connections determined in some manner by the amout of connection time

This group of people is getting smaller every year. And, as I said, I expect most international users would prefer to download directly from Coda, since (A) they could get the software right away, and (B) they could avoid the usurious surcharges usually incurred when shipping across international borders.

[And, for example, I could have avoided the problem of Coda shipping my last two updates to the incorrect address, even though I had corrected it with them multiple times.]

who prefer to have the software delivered in that manner, and given that that higher volume runs often incur lower unit costs, it is quite possible, in my opinion, that there may not be a significant savings in manufacturing costs.

Well, sure, it's impossible to know without looking at the books -- obviously, we're both basically just taking shots in the dark here. But since more and more software vendors are allowing users the option of downloading the software instead of waiting for physical delivery, I think it makes sense for Coda to seriously consider allowing that option.

Coda already allows users to download the demo, which is effectively the full version of Finale -- only with printing and saving disabled.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY