In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Owain Sutton
writes:
>While semiminims (ie quavers, 8th notes) are recognisable to us today,
>their original context means that the flags are more than adequate to
>highlight them - only with subsequent centurys of migration to shorter
>note values did flags and stems become inadequate in indicating
>subdivision of pulse.

On a point of detail, "semiminima" (L) = "crotchet" (Br) = "quarter-
note" (Am).  See "Note values" in the Grove Concise Dictionary of Music
(p. 526 in my copy).

I totally agree with your main point.  I much prefer to perform 16th C
music from unbarred editions with the original note values (and even
original clefs, so long as it is not too technically difficult).

--
Ken Moore
[EMAIL PROTECTED]