David W. Fenton wrote:

If the 15ba performance is forced on modern players by the notes available to them, then I really think they oughtn't play the damned thing! It really does sound that bad!

I seriously doubt this. Modern bass players can play things that bass players 200 years ago would never have dreamt of. Even now you can read in recent publications that thumb positions are impossible on bass, yet modern players are perfecting that technique as we speak. I still don't know the passage to which we are referring, but I can't imagine the situation being one of a limit in modern bass technique.

RBH