Are self-extracting archives cross-platform? I had always assumed not, so I never use them, as I have to communicate with PCers and Mackers alike.

Christopher

Stuffit Deluxe (Mac version) allows one to create a self extracting file in many formats including Windows (.exe)

I have abandoned self-extracting files as they make anyone half-way savvy nervous for security reasons.

On a related note, I was recently told to make sure that the "open safe files after downloading" box under general preferences was unchecked in Safari (it is checked by default.) Dashboard widgets are self-installing and this presents a potential security risk.

A silly decision on Apple's part I think considering how security has been beefed up noticeably in Tiger overall....I would think that they will plug this "hole" soon.

More reading here:  <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7064>

Take care,

Karen