On 22 May 2005 at 13:27, Neal Schermerhorn wrote:

> For those who have already successfully found a set of settings to
> print a part out at "marching band" size, could you share the values
> you use? (I'd be printing to 8 1/2 x 11, and the paper would then be
> cut down.)

Isn't it by definition half of octavo size?

I photocopied literally thousands of such pages during my band
librarian days, and it was always a matter of copying onto 8.5 x 11
and trimming the right margin and then cutting in half.

If the parts are all one march-size page each, you'd want to have the
margins for half the parts placing the part at the top of the page
(with the bottom blank), and the other half of the parts on the
bottom half of the page, You'd then have to feed each page through
the printer twice. And you'd want to group similar parts based on the
number you are printing (you may be supplying only one master part,
but the user will be photocopying those to create a part set of the
right number for their band).

Of course, I'm assuming you want to distribute the parts uncut, as
all the music publishers do it.

And, yes, it does sound like a pain, but you'd need only two sets of
margins, one for top parts and one for bottom parts.

Any two-page parts (trumpets and percussion often take up two pages,
with one page for other instruments) will be easy, but that does mean
a 3rd set of margins.