On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 03:46:57 -0400, "A-NO-NE Music" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> David Horne / 2005/06/04 / 08:21 PM wrote:
>
> >Since upgrading to Tiger (10.4.1) Finale freezes whenever I try to
> >extract a fairly big part from a file, say more than 300 bars. I've
> >actually upgraded the RAM (now have 768MB on a 1.33 G4 PB) since
> >upgrading the OS. I never had a problem with this in Panther, and am a
> >bit puzzled. Any idea what the problem might be? It's obviously a
> >serious issue for me.
>
> When you say freeze, is it the spinning beachball?

Yes, and while this is happening, I get a message that the programme is
not responding. I'd assumed, incorrectly, that was the same as a freeze
or crash.

> If so, how long have
> you waited?

Not long enough! See below...

> It is also possible you got bad RAM modules.  Have you
> tried removing it?
>
> Repair permission as well as fsck is a good idea, too.  AppleJack would
> do all that easily for you.
>
> Lastly, have you checked if this problem is not file dependent?

OK- it looks like I should have been more patient. It took around 4
minutes to extract a 600 bar part from a quintet. This is a file created
in 10.3.x and Finale 2005b, with the same laptop and only 256 MB RAM.
So yes, new RAM is a factor as well as the upgrade to Tiger
, but I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference (and I'm
not otherwise having any problems with other apps and the RAM seems
fine from a check of the system activity etc.).
I didn't have any other programmes running BTW. While I didn't ever time
part
extraction on the file in 10.3.x, it was a lot faster, so I'm just
wondering if there is something else. It's not file dependent, but the
size of the file makes a big difference. I hate to think who long it
would take to extract files from one the orchestral works. Anyone else
notice a difference then in the part extraction time- or just me?

David