On 7 Jun 2005 at 8:39, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:29 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >
> > Doesn't the last triangle have an effect on the selected syllable?
>
> I think so, which is why I have little use for it. Why not just drag
> the syllable directly, instead of clicking to select it then dragging
> the arrow?

Well, it does mean you don't have to switch modes of operation. I
also find the fact that you have to click twice on a syllable (not
doubleclick) to get the two handles to be annoying. If you're doing
page layout and need to nudge a single syllable, it seems far easier
to do it with the triangle than by changing mode on the Lyrics menu,
clicking twice, moving your syllable, then changing back to the mode
where the triangles appear.

Of course, now that I've just tried it, I see that the fourth
triangle does nothing of the sort!

Who knows!

> > This is not so much of a problem for expressions/articulations that
> > have no effect on playback (such as bowing marks), but the UI for
> > articulations, in particular, doesn't give much help to you with
> > distinguishing them, unless there's been some change to the
> > articulations dialog in 2004+ that is analogous to the addition of
> > display descriptions for expressions.
>
> I think it WAS in 2004 (I'm not sure, because I didn't use it much
> because of the speed issues on Mac) that they introduced non-printing
> text on SHAPE articulations. It's not as convenient as the expression
> descriptions, because you have to create an articulation as a shape
> instead of just as a character, and it's buried a few levels down, and
> it's rather fussy compared with the elegant ease of the expressions
> dialogue box, but it IS there.
>
> On the other hand, once you create an articulation (say, an accent
> that always goes above the note for divisi passages) you never have to
> touch the darn thing again if you make it part of your default file.

That's assuming that there are no changes in the next version of
Finale that make the old articulation definitions less than optimal,
and requiring changes. And that you don't learn new things that cause
you to want to change your the way some of your articulations behave,
such as a change to your basic "house style" that dictates something
different.

If you've got multiple definitions that are supposed to look the same
onscreen, then you've got to alter all of them.

My proposal is for a parent definition where you alter the settings
once, and those changes cascade through to all the child object
definitions (except those that override the setting you've changed or
that are defined not to inherit changes to the parent).