John Howell wrote:

[snip]

I think I've seen a picture of it, but there may well only be one (or a handfull) in the entire world. The bass sax, on the other hand, should be considered and used as a legitimate member of the sax section. (I may be prejudiced because one of the members of our community band owns and plays one!)

On the other hand, given the huge expense of owning a bass sax, composers/arrangers should think twice about giving a bass sax it's own, important part if they want the music performed by a wide number of groups. :-)

--
David H. Bailey