>From your description I assume you're using the standard technique of using
TGTools "Smart Explosion of multi-part staves" to separate the wind parts in
a copy of the score file, then extracting parts from that.  Before
extracting, you could just use Mass Edit to select the entire part and run
the standard plug-in "Change to Default Whole Rests".  This will work as
long you don't have anything attached to the "real" whole rests (e.g., like
fermatas).  Since I spend a lot of time tweaking parts, I don't find it
particularly burdensome to correct this problem after the part is extracted.
It's easy to spot the rogue "real" whole rests, convert them back, and
recreate multimeasure rests on the whole part at once.  But I agree that it
is kind of annoying that multimeasure rests aren't a wee bit smarter to
include whole rests to which nothing is attached.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com