At 07:16 AM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
There are mensural pieces, perhaps as early as the 13th century but certainly by the 14th, for which the original notation and the relations between tempus and prolatio have to be resolved when transcribing into modern notation. By the 14th century it was quite possible to indicate either interpretation. And there are dance breaks in Act I of Monteverdi's "L'Orfeo" which go like the wind when the exact interpretation of both mensuration signs and proportion signs is observed.

John

My medieval theory is a little rusty, but wasn't it deVitry or someone in the Ars Nova that is generally - perhaps too loosely - credited with legitimizing, not to say inventing, the duple subdivision?

Ken