On 30 Jun 2005 at 11:35, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> > (the "I want to live in America" effect
>
> The actual line is "I like to be in America."

That was my memory misfire.

> > I don't remember how Bernstein wrote this, but I'd write it with one
> > combined time signature 6/8 and 3/4 and think that that was pretty
> > clear.  It seems cluttered to change time signatures every measure
> > for something as consistent as this example.  I'd trust musicians to
> > understand that in a flash.
> >
> > Chuck
>
> I have the score in front of me. He writes it as "6/8 (3/4)" with the
> header "Tempo di Huapango (fast)." The beaming of the hemiolated (3/4)
> measures is inconsistent.

Ack!!! Andrew! How can someone who is so particular about terminology
get this one wrong? The subdivision shift is not a hemiola!

And "hemiolated" sounds like something you'd need Preparation H for!
;)

A serious question: when you say the beaming in the 3/4 measures is
"inconstent" what do you mean? Are you looking at a full score or a
piano/vocal score? In terms of the vocal parts, I can't hear in my
mind anything other than quarter notes in those measures, so perhaps
it's in the orchestra that there are 8th notes? And in that case,
maybe Bernstein wanted cross accents, with the voices in 3/4, the
accompaniment in 6/8?