On Jul 1, 2005, at 1:35 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Well, I'm concerned about the idea that you would assume that Lully
wrote anything at all in 3/4. I don't know of any French music from
that period in which modern 3/4 occurs in the original sources, nor
any time signature with a 6 in it.

It's in 3/2, actually. _Bourgeois Gentilhomme_ Act 4 initiation scene. Solo voice in obvious 6/4 rhythm alternating w. chorus in half notes. You could look it up.

And BTW, my assumptions have nothing to do with it. It's right there in black and white. You wanna argue w. _Grove_, go argue w. _Grove_.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/