On 5 Jul 2005 at 20:14, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> On 05 Jul 2005, at 8:02 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > On 5 Jul 2005 at 19:35, Darcy James Argue wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, I believe the addition of a mixer has been the
> >> most-requested new Finale feature request for many years now.  It's
> >> ridiculous for you to claim there isn't a demand for it just
> >> because you don't need it.
> >
> > A mixer in Finale makes absolutely no sense unless Finale is
> > shipping with its own sounds for playback, so, until Finale 2004,
> > there was absolutely no logical reason for it.
>
> People have been requesting a mixer for use with the QuickTime
> Instruments (and, later sound fonts) since Finale starting
supporting
> QuickTime instruments and sound fonts.  Why is that illogical?  The
> need for some kind of mixer is the same regardless of whether
you're
> using Coda's instruments or the QuickTime instruments.

Because you're mixing for your own synthesizer, and unless you're
recording to some wave-based format, the people listening to the
results won't hear anything close to the same thing.

And the Quicktime instruments have always been absolutely dreadful,
at least whenever I've auditioned them. I don't even bother to
download them when I upgrade Quicktime, because I've already got far
better sounds in my dedicated sound card.

And each version of Quicktime instruments is different, so even
mixing for Quicktime isn't going to come out the same for every
listener.

Thus, it only makes sense to have finishing tools in Finale when
you're mixing to a fixed output, a wave-based file, rather than a
MIDI file.

So, until Finale included playback instruments, it made no sense to
have a mixer in Finale.