> Discussing the merits of the feature from a
> functionality standpoint isn't really what's needed
> here. The justification for the feature was that
> people wanted it.

What is discouraging is that it apparently is the only justification that is
needed. This kind of thinking has seemed to increasingly pervade Coda in
recent years. Development seems to have been turned over entirely to
marketing and the lowest common denominator of demand. There is no longer an
independent standard of excellence toward which to strive and of which to be
proud. It is the equivalent of politicians giving up principles by which to
govern in favor of making decisions according to the polls. Of course, in
business there must be fiscal responsibility, but that is still possible
without abandoning a vision of excellence entirely.

For me the evidence of this trend is in the lists of out-and-out bugs, at
least some of which must have rather simple solutions, but which are passed
over in favor of flashy and demanded features. (my most often-cursed example
is the rubber handles on expressions in staffs that have been reduced. This
one was fixed at one time only to re-emerge.)

The software writers working on new features know very well that the old
bugs are still there. They have daily reminders that quality control is not
valued as highly as it might be. This seems to me to be a recipe for more
sloppiness and the introduction of more errors with an eventual slide into
mediocrity or worse.

Richard Yates