Paul Hayden schrieb:
Two questions about using "tacet":

1. An instrument is not used in the first movement of a multi-movement work. Should the instrument be included on the first page of music in the score (and then perhaps deleted on other pages of the first movement)?

I was recently editing such a piece, and decided against including all instruments on the first page. There were too many of them which didn't play a note until one of the later movements. Instead we included a full instrument list before the first page of music.

2. When creating the part for that instrument, should I just put "I. TACET" and then start the second movement directly below on the same page?

Yes. If the first movement is short your could also consider notating it as multimeasure rests, but it is not necessary.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de