At 9:28 AM -0500 7/9/05, Robert Patterson wrote:
Isn't the fundamental problem here that the pie is not getting bigger?

Sibelius had the luxury of learning from Finale's mistakes. Its original features list was a litany of Finale's (then) shortcomings. Apparently its entire reason for existing and strategy for growth was to be the answer to Finale's problems. I can't tell you how many Sib users who have told me flat-out this was their reason for using Sibelius: notably Sib's posterchild, John Rutter.

I ask this quite honestly because I don't know the answer. Was there actually a situation of competition with Finale in the UK when Sibelius was being developed? Or was it simply a case of parallel development? As I recall, Sibelius was originally developed for a computer platform only used in the UK--Acorn?--and thus had no possible market in the U.S., while Finale had no version that could compete on that platform.

You may be completely correct if you're talking about what they did when they were preparing their Windoze and Mac versions, bringing them directly into competition with Finale, but it doesn't seem that the original impetus to develop the program was direct competition.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music