At 01:48 PM 7/9/2005, you wrote:
Also, I have major problems with understanding where my typing is
going when I do something like Ctrl-Alt-T (to insert text) -- there
is no onscreen indicator of where the text is going to appear, and
there is a huge pause between my typing and the actual appearance of
the text onscreen. There just isn't enough visual feedback here for
me to be able to understand what's going on.

Yes, there is an on-screen indicator: If you select an object before typing Ctrl-Alt -T for Tempo text, a cursor will appear above the selected object. If you don't select something, you get a "loaded mouse arrow" which you can insert anywhere by clicking.

Ken