On Jul 9, 2005, at 7:20 PM, Taris Flashpaw wrote:

Hi all
I've run into a bit of a quandary with the finale to a work I'm currently trying to finish (which has been ongoing for about five years). The fourth movement (of five) is a lovely passacaglia and the bass line (on which the whole movement is based) only ever cadences when another repetition follows it (it ends with a V7 and starts with a i chord), so naturally, come the end of the movement, the cadence is nowhere to be found. My intentions are to have an attacca into the fifth movement and have the final i chord of the passacaglia kick off the finale (of course, modulating to the new key).

Here's my problem. The passacaglia is in D minor and the Finale is in B minor. What key signature should I use for the start of the Finale? Should I use D minor to easier show the modulations, or should I notate the whole thing in B minor (the modulation will only take a few bars, so by bar 10, it will be in B minor). I see it as kind of pointless to use a key signature for only ten bars and then change it...

What would you recommend?

On the assumption that in tonal music there is recognisable key and the musicians know what it is, I would leave any transitory progressions in the OLD key, only stating the B minor key signature when it shows up definitively in bar 10. I have no problems with changing key signatures for (relatively) short passages, if there is a definite modulation.

I seem to be a weirdo about that, though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Christopher