Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Jul 9, 2005, at 2:10 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:

In many cases the new 'deciaml' metronome marking is reached by an accel/rall from the old tempo - how would you notate that?

Look, either there is a proportion or there isn't. If there is, you can put it in a tempo marking (e.g.: "8:7 faster"), and if there isn't, you can't put it in a time sig. Throwing in rits. or accels. makes no difference.

Why do they make no difference? All that I'm talking about is a transitition from one tempo, to another 9/8ths faster. What is the problem with that?

OK, lets do this in baby steps.

If I have an accelerando followed by a new tempo, then there are only four possibilities:

1) The accelerando leads smoothly up to the new tempo, in which case the instructions should be "accel....al...9:8 faster" (I suspect this is the case you had in mind.)

Yes, this is the one I had in mind. But this way of indicating it is still potentially misleading, as it could be interpreted as 'accel.....subito 9:8 faster'. Giving the calculated metronome marking, including decimals if necessary, removes any potential error.