Having dared to step away from this list for about 18 hours, I come back to find myself about a hundred messages behind in this whirlwind discussion. Now that I'm caught up, I'll add my own thoughts.

As a practical matter, I don't share Dennis B-K's distinction of this list as a "private" group. When I write here, I assume it's exactly as private as whatever I write in a Usenet group. That is, I take it for granted that my words are going to find their way out to the wide world of the Web.

Nevertheless, I would still support Dennis's request to openSubscriber.com to take down all of my messages. Even in a public forum, the writer still holds copyright and thus has the right to limit redistribution. I have no major objection to a third-party archiver per se, but I do prefer not to be quoted at length without attribution, and I'd prefer not to have my words end up in someone's book some day without permission. To whatever extent OpenSubscriber's distribution makes that more likely, it's a negative for me, and the only offsetting positive is that they offer convenience to some of my friends on the list who like to search the list archives. It's not a huge deal to me either way, but on the whole, I'd rather they don't republish me, so if the law gives me the right to tell them no, I want to exercise that right.

There's something to be said for nipping this in the bud wherever possible. I've had plenty of experience with my articles on the Web being redistributed without attribution (and occasionally with false attribution). Every few months I try to chase them all down and send polite emails to the offenders. Most of them respond politely -- the offense is usually done in ignorance, not malice. A few of them don't. The least responsive are the companies which are harvesting content en masse with their giant digital dragnets, repackaging it all as their own for click-through profits. I confess I have developed a distaste for such companies.

Alas, I lack the energy to pursue this much, and whatever attention I do give it isn't going to go to archives of *this* list. Still, Dennis, if in your correspondence with OpenSubscriber you develop a sort of petition for those of us who would deny reprint permission for our copyrighted posts, I will happily join in signing.

I doubt that a lawsuit will go far, since the court is not likely to award more than financial damages -- ie, what it costs the copyright violatEE, not what it profits the violatOR -- and I don't think there's much damages that can be demonstrated from anything on this list. Still, the first step is to formally request that they cease and desist, so that it is at least established that if they continue to reprint us they are in willful violation of the law.

mdl

P.S. Somewhere in this discussion, someone mentioned the public domain. I love the public domain, and I sure with there were more of it. I think the world would be a better place if copyright terms were rolled back drastically. But it really pisses me off that whenever copyrights and the public domain are tweaked, no matter which way the argument is going, it always seems to turn out that big media corporations win and small publishers and artists lose -- so that in order to "support the public domain" all of my writings have to become free to any taker, but at the same time in order to protect Mickey Mouse, I can't have Irving Berlin's "God Bless America".