There's another reason it wouldn't work; the MIDI interface is powered off the USB bus, and takes pretty much the full 500 ma current draw that the port supplies (if you can read the printout I sent last message, the draw and supply are listed.) Add in the 100 ma for the wireless mouse receiver and 250 ma for the keyboard itself, and the poor USB bus would be completely overloaded. I've heard about expensive repairs involving this, so I won't experiment. I was also warned to plug it directly into the computer, not into an external hub, unless the hub was separately powered.

While thinking about this, I came to the hypothesis that one of the first replies here (David, was that you?) was correct; that the MIDI may be time stamped, but the keyboard input is not; it is just read in the order that the keys are pressed and held in a buffer until such time as it can be taken and applied. So if my computer gets bottle-necked on some housekeeping task (like redrawing the screen) then it just forgets about the carefully time-stamped MIDI input that happened eons ago (in its mind) and goes on with the "Important" tasks fed into it by the QWERTY keyboard, completely uncoordinated with the MIDI.

(On the same subject, my first computer, an 8 mHz Atari ST with 1 meg of RAM had FLAWLESS MIDI timing as a result of MIDI being built into the OS as well as being built in to the computer itself. My present computer has a clock speed 100 times faster and computational power far beyond even that, but not as steady on the MIDI. Go figure!)

This may also be related to the general slowdowns reported by some on Mac, when the computer has been running for a long time, especially if some apps have memory leaks, like Safari is reported to have. Like I said at the beginning, I don't ALWAYS outrun my computer when Speedy entering; only sometimes, and those times may very well be when I have a lot going on at once, and Safari has been running for a week or so, and I haven't rebooted recently, etc., you get the idea. I just never thought to look for that before. Now I will look for it.

Christopher