At 11:51 PM -0400 7/14/05, Darcy James Argue wrote:
On 14 Jul 2005, at 11:31 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I had to create a playback file for my jazz ear training class, and I ended up adding a lot of non-printing articulations to change note lengths where the performance practice required it (short quarter notes, in my case.) This idea might be useful to you if you have to do this often.

You mean you *don't* normally put articulations on *all* quarter notes (in a swing style)?

I have never had good results leaving jazz quarter notes up to chance. They are all marked either staccato or tenuto (or, of course, ^ or >).

Seems to me that you've got three possible scenarios here.

1. Writing for experienced jazz musicians who live in the style, don't need that level of overcontrol, and might even be insulted by it.

2. Writing for experrienced jazz musicians who would interpret your notation in a predictable way, but you want it interpreted differently and so need to indicate it.

3. Writing for naive, young, or classically-trained musicians and trying to get them to use proper jazz articulations (lotsa luck!!!).

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music