On Jul 15, 2005, at 5:47 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

Maybe fifteen years ago I first heard "blows" meaning bad. It was around the time that the expression "blowing chunks" (for throwing up) gained popularity, and often the two were interchanged. "That team blows chunks!" would be freely interchanged with "That team blows!" Of course, now it just means "bad." Note there is no connection with "sucks" that is immediately apparent to today's generation, just as there is no connection between "phat" and "fat".

I'm pretty sure there *is* a connection between "phat" and "fat". The acronymic etymologies are all fallacious.

mdl