Raymond Horton wrote:

dhbailey wrote:

Raymond Horton wrote:

In the USAF band in the late '50s, one's instrument was referred to as one's "axe" for no discernable reason,

It was (still is?) widespread jazz terminology--like "gig."

The use of the term "axe" goes along with the term "woodshedding" -- what other tool would you use in a wood shed besides an axe?

Perhaps, but that might be supposing too much. I would think it's just a term for a tool of the trade. (Personally, I heard "axe" years before I ever heard of "woodshedding.")

RBH

I heard 'ax' many, many years ago, but also 'woodshedding' (where, perhaps a pocketknife would be useful for whittling, but an axe is preferred for serious work). Not a clue as to the origins of 'ax' in any case. Gotta run now - got a gig!
:)

cd