John Bell wrote:

On 22 Jul 2005, at 01:50, Chuck Israels wrote:

"Association spokeswoman Amy Lear said the group
enacted the rule two years ago because of concerns
that girls auditioning for tenor parts were hurting
their voices by singing too low.

If these old wives tales were true, more of us would be blind :-)

Many years ago, a schoolteacher caught me and my trombonist friend playing jazz using the school's prized Steinway. He seriously thought we might have damaged the sensitive instrument by exposing it to such vulgar music.

John

In graduate school, when my friend and I, both composition majors, were trying to schedule the main recital hall for our composition recitals, the secretary in charge, trying to protect the noble Steinway from the dreaded curse of 'modern music', said "No banging?". We both nodded and replied, with all appropriate seriousness "No banging."

RBH