At 5:24 PM -0700 7/21/05, Richard Yates wrote:
 > "Association spokeswoman Amy Lear said the group
 enacted the rule two years ago because of concerns
 that girls auditioning for tenor parts were hurting
 their voices by singing too low.

This, then, is the crux of the reasoning. These questions about the claim
then follow:

Are such concerns valid?  Is there evidence for this claim?

I've argued that some girls' voices really do function healthily in that range, but by the same token the "average" girl's voice should not be attempting to sing low Cs and Ds. Not to pull a Bill Clinton here, but the real crux is what the meaning of "hurting their voices" is. If one is invoking physical damage, rather than simply not meeting some arbitrary standard, then any such damage pales in comparison with the damage done by cheerleading without excellent vocal habits. About 30 years ago, one of the appropriate departments at Indiana University examined the vocal mechanisms of a large number of cheerleaders who were on campus for cheerleading camps during the summer. They found some physical damage in 100% of the subjects they examined, and permanent damage in a frighteningly large percentage. Trying to sing tenor will NOT produce such results! Much more damage can be done by asking young, partially-trained singers to sing opera arias that are beyond their present technique! Yes, I've heard it done, and shuddered to hear the results. Another sure-fire danger is smoking. Many "basses" in women's barbershop have been smoking for 20+ years.

Does the concern justify a blanket policy or is there a way to judge such
risk, if there really is any, individually?

Of course. Every applicant sings before at least one, and perhaps a panel of judges. If those judges know their business, they can hear individual problems. I've judged such auditions and so has my wife several times, usually with the singers behind a screen.

Is it the TMEA's legitimate role to judge this risk or is it more properly
the school's or the parents' or even (gasp) the student's?

By and large the students don't know enough about their voices to judge, nor do the parents, and if by "the school's" you mean the choir teachers, it's hard to trust them completely because in too many cases they are the very people who put girls improperly into the alto or tenor sections because they need more voices in those sections. Once again it is a very legitimate role for those judging the auditions.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music