Craig Parmerlee wrote:
First, let me apologize to Johannes for the incorrect quotation line in my earlier message.

dhbailey quoted Craig Parmerlee saying:

[snip]>

As users who have a vested interest in Finale surviving, we cannot solve the software problems for them. But we can buy upgrades to help them fund the continued development. Anybody who cares enough to post messages on an Internet board really shouldn't be complaining about paying a hundred bucks a year to keep the thing going.

dhbailey wrote:

I don't see your logic here -- what does our posting to a discussion group of users helping users (since the program is harder to master without such help) have to do with how much discretionary money we have available to spend to keep a corporation afloat?

Craig Parmerlee wrote:
Posting to a discussion group is neither here nor there. Complaining about Finale's upgrade policy seems pointless and counter-productive. If one doesn't care about Finale's survival, then why is one here? And if one does care about Finale's survival, surely that is worth more than a measly 100 bucks a year.

dhbailey wrote:

With your major release every 60 days, what sort of marketing model does your product have? Annual subscription, pay a hefty fee every 60 days, pay for the product once and get the major releases for free? What sort of product is it -- a product that a major corporation uses across the corporation, a product that a single user would purchase? How many developpers are working on your product, that you can push a major release out the door every 2 months?

Craig Parmerlee wrote:
Our business model is that our users pay us for the RESULTS they achieve with our software. No results -- no payment. Therefore we are all highly motivated to make the software more and more powerful every day. We come in every day with a new set of ideas to make our users more productive. It is my job to make sure this rolls out with some kind of architectural sanity, but basically we think of time to market in terms of days and weeks, never years. Last year, we fought ferociously to get ourselves out of the legacy problem -- advancing our platform 15 years in the course of 12 months. Now we are determined to take full advantage of the productivity that comes when you can get rid of that legacy. It is abundantly clear to me that Finale is still slaving under its legacy. We think of reinventing 5% of our system every MONTH. Finale is reinventimg one percent of its system every YEAR. Two entirely different worlds.

Imagine how motivated Finale would be if they got a percentage of the publishing royalties for everything produced with Finale (i.e. my business model). If that were Finale's business model, I dare say we wouldn't be seeing new skins and cute sound fonts. We would be seeing a real dedication to maximizing the productivity of the composers, arrangers, and copyists.

dhbailey wrote:

Sure we have a right to complain, sure we should be voicing our upset. The whole marketplace thing is a partnership, and partnerships only work when both partners (all partners) get what they feel to be fair returns for their investment in the partnership. We put in the money and the suggestions for new features and the requests for bug-fixes. Finale puts in the development time and produces the product. When either partner feels the equality of the partnership has been broken, they are faced with a dilemma -- they can continue the partnership, hoping things will rectify themselves and a perceived slight will be a one-off occurence, or they can dissolve the partnership, feeling that things are irrevocably skewed.

But we can still talk about it and try to come to some sort of understanding of why the company seems to be following the path it is.

And hope that the company is listening and paying attention.

Craig Parmerlee wrote:
Yes.  I agree completely.