On 23 Jul 2005 at 17:02, Mark D Lew wrote:

> >> Idamante in Mozart's Idomeneo (original version) is one example,
> >> but I think you're on to something. . . .
> >
> > Idamante is not a teenager. He's a young man, no? In his early 20s?
>
> Right.  A young man.  That's what you asked for, I thought.

I thought you were talking about teenagers, like Cherubino.

I think the difference is between young man as pre-adult and young
man as young adult. The former were never, so far as I know, sung by
castrati (at least, by design), because the former would never have
been heroic roles (at least in none of the seria conventions I'm
aware of).

Castrati were rare. They were stars (mostly). I don't think they
would have been used in secondary roles of the type you're
describing.