On Jul 24, 2005, at 9:43 PM, John Howell wrote:

Keeping in mind that there was an awful lot that Mosaic couldn't and still can't do, and that MOTU has stopped development, they had this feature from the very beginning. Every slur has not 3 but 4 adjustment points and is almost infinitely adjustable. I also discovered that you could grab the slur at any point to adjust it, not just on those 4 points. Just like linked scores and parts, these were in the program at least as early as 1992. Were Mosaic's programmers smarter than Finale's or were they just pursuing different goals? Or maybe working with better consulting musicians at that time?

Dunno. It's not like there's anything high-tech about adding a factor that extends the middle of a slur. It's a bit of math, but that's elementary for the computer, whether today or 10 years ago or even 20 years ago.

I think the Bezier curves are extremely powerful for such a straightforward equation, but it really needs that option to stretch it in the middle. Do that, and you'll have everything you need for professional looking slurs, I think.

mdl