On 25/07/05, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 01:16 PM 7/25/05 +0000, Robert Patterson wrote:
>
>> one must remember that different pages have different staff
>> configurations. (Look at any Mahler Symphony score.) On one
>> page Fls 1&2 share a staff. The next page they may split onto
>> 2 staves. Even worse, on one page Hns 1,3,5,7 share a staff,
>> but on another page there are four horn staves, arranged 1/2,
>> 3/4, 5/7, 6/8. On another there are 2 staves, etc.
>
> If I can just mention once again the importance of changing Finale's
> assignment approach from staff+layer to line. If the data always follows
> the line, not the staff, then shared staves, a2, tacit, etc., (almost)
> always work out.

I second that, however there may be a workaround to get multiple-line
staves into separate parts with a combination of Sibelius-like Dynamic
Parts and TGTools' Smart Explosion. Unfortunately it would probably
only work efficiently on parts where (for example) two flutes share a
staff for the whole score, but here it is:

It would involve creating a separate "Parts" file like so many of us
are already used to doing. The difference would be that you would run
TGTools' Smart Explosion only on the necessary staves in the "Parts"
file before printing out the actual parts. This method would require
you only to Explode the multi-line staves each time you want to create
a new set of parts (then, theoretically, the exploded lines would have
their own Dynamic Parts). This would also require all changes to be
made to the score, since that exploded Parts file would not be linked
to the main Score file.

This is only a mental exercise at this point, but it still points out
a potential benefit to including Sibelius-like Dynamic Parts in Finale
without a slew of new options. Of course, I'm not suggesting that
MakeMusic! should implement Dynamic Parts without improving at all
upon the Sib4 model, but no complete rethinking of the feature is
absolutely *necessary* to achieve an effect that would satisfy a
(hopefully) large number of Finale users (myself included).

--
Brad Beyenhof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]