At 10:14 PM 7/27/05 -0400, John Howell wrote:
>OK, I'm no computer whiz and maybe I'm too dense to follow this, but
>since Finale has parts on individual staves, equivalent to MIDI
>channels (?), I can't envision taking an audio file that that's
>already been mixed to two stereo channels and sucking it usefully
>into Finale!
>If anybody's up for an explanation, please use very small words and
>no acronyms!  I'm really curious.

Dale is using Sonar, which uses audio, Midi, notation, studio mixing, and
video in parallel.  He says he "would like to use an audio overlay as an
aide to creating a lead sheet". That's exactly what you can do in Sonar,
and why I've been hammering on Finale to engage with an existing studio
product rather than create their own.

In Sonar, you can put cue points in the audio file, and sync the Midi to
it, and the notation follows. Likewise, you can cut to video.

If Finale really wants to go the studio route, it has to make room for
syncing to existing audio, or at least importing it so that scoring can be
done in parallel to a non-printing audio track -- or a printing audio track
for those of us who *also* want to have a cue sheet for electroacoustic
pieces. Right now I have to import the TIFF images of the audio ... ick.

Dennis