----- Original Message ----- From: "Darcy James Argue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Finale2006 and GPO

On 30 Jul 2005, at 3:02 PM, John Hughes wrote:

The trumpet, for a start, sounds absolutely nothing like a trumpet. I am a trumpet player and the sound I hear really offends me.

Everyone's always biased towards their own instrument. Johannes has said that the solo violins sound nothing like solo violins. I'm sure oboe players would say the same of the oboe patch, etc. Again, GPO is a rough approximation (but a vast improvement over the default soundfont, as Jari's excellent demo shows).

As to all the other instruments, even though they vary amongst each other as to degree of reality, they all have unpleasant coloration.

John, they are exactly the same instruments you heard on the Finale website. If the "unpleasant coloration" was absent there, then you ought not to have anything to complain about.

Once again - if the sounds I get were as good as the ones on the demo then I would not be complaining. It is precisely because the coloration on my sounds were absent on the demo that is why I am complaining.

Have you tried the sounds *in context* (i.e., in an ensemble), with HP and Ambience Reverb on?

My Altec Lansing speakers provide very good sound, so the blame cannot be laid there. The demos I have tried from the internet all sound good, or at least as good as would satisfy me if I could get mine to sound as good. So, in view of the comments from members of the list who say how superior the GPO sounds are

They are definitely superior to the Finale sound font. Clearly, they are not superior to professional orchestral sample libraries costing thousands of dollars. You have to be realistic in your expectations.

I can only surmise that for some reason the problem remains with me. Although, for the life of me I can't see any alterative (that works) to the way I have things set up at the moment.

Well, how *do* you have things set up at the moment?

MIDI IN  SB Audigy Midi Port         MIDI OUT  Smart Music Soft Synth>