Ok... I can't help myself any longer. I've got to comment on this. My apologies to the list for the off-topic nature of this post.

David, here is your original statement:

Well, for one, DVD drive support on Windows, especially WinXP, is decidedly problematic. It's not provided by the OS natively, but by add-in software.

WinXP, in particular, has similar problems with CD-R/RW drives, ones which are inherent in the OS, and not correctable.

Optical drives with WinXP are very problematic.

And,

There are fundamental problems in WinXP's optical drive support that make WinXP different from previous versions of Windows. There are Microsoft Knowledge Base articles documenting many of these problems.

Now, if you are confining your observations to Windows and native cd *writing* support, then I would support you. It has some severe limitations in WinXP, and of course, is not implemented natively in earlier versions of Windows. But really, there are many reliable and robust third-party writing solutions (i.e. Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc.) that work just fine in XP and earlier versions. Most of these programs come with a new PC, and are normally included in all but OEM hardware if the drive is purchased separately. As for *reading* support, I cannot agree with you that there are *fundamental* problems with this - please do quote the knowledge base articles.

Next, there has been a discussion of how a backup script of yours that makes use of the command-line XCOPY is now unreliable in Windows XP. This may very well be true, however, it in no way supports your blanket statement that optical drives are *problematic* in Windows XP. They may be in your specific situation, but I believe it is accurate to suggest that 99% of Windows users do not run custom backup scripts using DOS batch files and XCOPY. Most Windows users I know both burn and read CDs and DVDs with 100% reliability.

When you are called upon to distinguish between a general problem with optical drives, and a much more specific problem with one backup script, you respond:

Well, for reading DVD drives you still have to have appropriate drivers. The client of mine who "downgraded" from WinXP to Win2K is now unable to use their DVD drive because the Win2K drivers Dell provides for the drive don't work with it.

I do not understand the need for third-party device drivers for optical drives. I have worked in the computer industry for over 15 years, managing corporate networks, doing Windows programming, building custom PCs and providing repair and consulting services. I have *never* installed a third-party driver for an optical drive in WinXP or Win2K. They are sometimes required for Win9x, but the last I ever recall doing something of that sort was a basic CD-ROM driver for DOS 6.2. I even went over to the Dell website and searched for 'DVD Driver', which turned up nothing for Windows XP or 2000. I can only suspect that you are using an older machine with a BIOS that does not properly understand optical drivers. This is somewhat confirmed by your statement:

This is not a WinXP problem, of course. It's a problem with the lack of real support for DVDs in the OS (and, as Hiro points out, in the BIOS, which on the PC supports only the IDE interface, not the specific quirks of optical drives).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'only the IDE interface'. How is your optical driver connected? Is it SCSI? That, of course, is another animal entirely. However, it is still not a *Windows* problem, but instead a hardware one. And any modern BIOS of the last few years will properly and correctly identify a DVD or CD-ROM.

If, on the other hand, you try to use methods with the optical drive that have worked for several past versions of Windows (why would you want to change your backup methods when you simply got a new computer?), you may very well encounter major problems that lead to a locked up PC that won't shut down, that corrupts CD-R media and that can lead to blue screens crashes of WinXP.

What other methods have caused problems for you, besides your backup script(s)?

Look, David. I don't doubt that you have found a problem in Windows. There are many. But surely you must admit that all that seems to be at issue here is that you are using an old backup script that worked for you in earlier versions of Windows, but is now unreliable in WinXP. I do not dispute this. However, to turn that into a suggestion that consumers should not purchase DVD or CD-ROM drives because Windows support is problematic, perplexes me. How do you make this leap?

Read my message again -- I said CD-R. I was using XCOPY to make backups. Indeed, that's the way I've been doing it with many of my clients since the days before CD-R drives were common and they were using Zip drives for backup. When CD-R was a cheap option, my clients started buying machines with that in them and we used the same XCOPY scripts for backing up their files (with suitable alterations to reflect different paths and drives, of course).

Here is more support then, that you are using a *very* old script. As some others have pointed out in this forum, there are newer and easier ways to accomplish backups. You can schedule automated backups with Acronis True Image, for example. And yes, they are incremental backups. You may argue that this is not a built-in method; but a safe, reliable and robust backup system is not something you should skimp on - pay the $50 for the program, it is worth it.

At any rate, I am sure you will have more to say on the topic. And I admire your stuborness. I am an old curmudgeon myself. But please, let's keep the discourse above the childish level it has sometimes descended to, and let's at least entertain the notion that maybe, David, you overstated things and are unwilling to admit it.

Cheers,
Jim