On 03 Aug 2005, at 3:33 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

On Aug 3, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

6) Now, using the Staff Tool, double-click the staff. This launches the Staff Attributes dialog box. Click the "Select" box next to "Transposition." Change the transposition method from Key Signature to Chromatic.

Why do you need to do this? What's the advantage of chromatic transposition over key signature transposition? Is this something you do when you want both score and parts to be "non key related" - no key signature on either?

Yes.

Most of the time, my music isn't strictly in a traditional key, so I don't write key signatures, ever. Lots of contemporary writers (Maria Schneider, John Hollenbeck, Jim McNeely, etc) avoid key signatures even when their stuff is mostly tonal.

Sibelius has a key signature -- separate from C major/A minor -- called "Open Key/Atonal" -- which does the same thing as setting all staves to Chromatic Transposition in Finale, with two big advantages:

1) Chord symbols transpose correctly.

2) It's a one-step process to change an entire score from Key Signature transposition to Chromatic transposition. There is no way to do this in Finale except by changing the transposition settings for each staff individually, which is incredibly tedious.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY