On 5 Aug 2005 at 14:56, dhbailey wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
> > On 5 Aug 2005 at 6:29, dhbailey wrote:
> >
> >>2) under the STAFF menu, in the Respace Staves dialog is a place to
> >>set the spacing for the top staff.  Setting this to be a negative
> >>number moves it down the page, and all the other staves maintain
> >>their relative spacing.  This is by far the easiest if you need to
> >>give the top staff more room once you have started your score and
> >>have more than one staff in place.
> >
> > Does that not affect page layout, putting additional space at the
> > top of each system?
>
> Yes it does, but I would assume that if he can't see some of the
> higher elements of the top staff, they would either be outside the
> print area on the page or would collide with the bottom staff of the
> system above.

Why would you assume such things?

In any event, it shows how unwise the choice to make vertical spacing
in scrollview a result of a setting that affects page layout. There
is no reason, in a non-page-based view, to maintain such a connection
-- it should be an independent setting (perhaps inheriting its
default setting from the page layout system settings).

>   In either case, I would think some more space above the top staff
> would be desirable.

What if it isn't?

> But the question was, in scroll view, how to see those elements which
> are too high, and there really isn't any way except adding more space
> to the top of the top staff, either by dragging or by adjusting the
> number in the dialogue.

And my point is that THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE WAY FINALE
PRESENTLY WORKS -- a shortcut was taken way back in the days of
Finale 2.x (or before), and it's never been addressed, despite the
problems that decision actually causes.

> After all the data entry is done, that can revert to whatever he needs
> for proper layout if the new setting doesn't work properly.

It's stupid for a program's user interface to force you to change the
printing properties in order to be able to comfortably edit your
data. That betrays an erroneous slavishness to WYSYWIG in aspects of
the program's UI where it gets in the way.

Of course, there is the workaround that Andrew suggested, of creating
a staff set with custom settings, but, again, it's a workaround.
Finale should maintain onscreen positioning separate from page layout
positioning.