Chuck Israels / 2005/08/06 / 03:44 PM wrote:

>I wish I had a better understanding of how preference files become
>damaged and why they have such power to wreak havoc on the operation
>of Finale.  I don't know what good that knowledge would produce, but
>I am curious.

As I mentioned before, FinMac pref is binary, while Apple recommends it
to be XML.  There are two ways for an app to handle pref file.  Some app
will keep it open during the session, some others will open/close when
it's called.

My guess is FinMac keeps pref file open during the session.  This means
if process is intercepted and some r/w packet is dropped then the pref
file starts to corrupt.

These little things reminds us that FinMac is still based on Classic
MacOS legacy code, and someday they have to rework from the ground up
again, just like they did with FinMac v3.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>