Darcy James Argue schrieb:
Yes, but that's by design -- to prevent people from assigning staves to instruments that are not included in GPO, and then complaining that they don't play back correctly.

That's ridiculous. As I said before, notation is obviously becoming a minor feature in Finale.

I can see the argument that it's better to make the staff name independent of the GPO instrument in the Setup Wizard -- have the Setup Wizard chose the most appropriate GPO instrument for each of the staff name options, but give the user the option of overriding that choice. I think that actually would be a good way to go.

The setup wizard predates the soundfont. The idea was to make the setup of the score easier. Now the setup of the score depends on the playback engine, which I find a completely ridiculous concept for an engraving package.

However, the danger is that with too many choices, the Setup Wizard becomes too complicated for the average user.

This last paragraph I cannot agree with at all. As a matter of fact it has now become too complicated for the average user to end up with a properly formatted score. The whole concept of only allowing staves that have a patch name to complement them seems to be thought out while dining.

I still cannot quite believe this. It means that I cannot use the Setup Wizard to setup my score with GPO playback, I have to do all of that manually.

Darcy, since you have much more insight into this than I do: Will I lose anything if I setup the GPO playback after I originallly setup the score for SmartMusic Playback? Don't tell me yes, that would be an even bigger desaster.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de