Hi Chuck,

In case you don't know about it, here's a stop gap measure you could use
until your X-keys keyboard problem is resolved.  I haven't installed 2006
yet, so this is only accurate, for sure, as of 2005.

The eight keys, F,G,H,J,K,L,; and ' (3rd row up on my QWERTY keyboard) in
combination with the control key, can each be programmed to select a tool of
your choice.  To program the F key, for example, type F while holding down
the command and option keys.  This brings up the Master Tool Palette, from
which you select the tool you want assigned.  That tool is then accessed by
typing F while holding the control key.

As handy as this is, it's even better when combined with the selection tool
and its shortcuts.  The two I use most are typing the escape key twice to
bring up the selection tool, and double clicking an element (while in the
selection tool) to access the the tool that created that element.

If I said that clearly enough you should be able to see the potential
decrease in mouse activity, especially in accessing the tool palette.  Of
course, that's not 20 programmable keys, but hopefully it'll be some help to
you.

Don Hart