Andrew Stiller wrote:

A couple of questions for the list, both about the same 19th-c. orchl. work that I'm editing.

1) Can any of you think of any example of a musical self-portrait (especially orchestral) from the 19th c.? 18th c.?

R. Strauss: _Ein Heldenleben_ (A Hero's Life) 1898, seems to pop into mind first. If you can delve into the early 20th century, check out it's parody by Charles Converse, _Flivver Ten Million_ (1924) which is a heroic narrative of the life of a Model T. The first recording of this clever work by my own Louisville Orchestra may still be available on CD on Albany TROY 030-2, (and is certainly in libraries) and there is another recording out there as well.

2) This composer habitually puts his first violins onto two staves, labeled Vn.Ia and Vn. Ib. How should the string parts for such a piece be distributed:

Depends on the work.  Does it look like equal division, or 1st divided?

6.6.12.10.8.6?

An orchestra always has more firsts than seconds, so even if the firsts were divided in half this would not be the case.

I've seen the ideal string section of 60 described as 16.14.12.10.8. Your smaller section would be more like 14.11.9.8.6, and would divide violins, in this case, more like 8.6.11

8.8.8.10.8.6?

If the three parts in your piece are equal (like the three violin parts in the third movement of the Shostakovich 5th) it would be played more like 10.8.6; maybe 9.8.7. (The 60 strings would divide more like 12.10.8)

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist
Louisville Orchestra