On 15 Aug 2005 at 17:15, Richard Yates wrote:

> The accented 'e' bug in URLs has struck again.
>
> I was able to get this:
> http://www.dfenton.com/Collegium/Scores/Clérambault_Clitie.PDF
>
> only by going here:
> http://www.dfenton.com/Collegium/Scores/Cl%e9rambault_Clitie.PDF

I did substantial research on this the last time this came up on the
list, and found that no one could explain the issue in any manner
that provided a solution that worked in all cases.

The problem is within the browsers -- some of them send one
interpretation of the accented letter to the web server, and some of
them send another. I could find a solution only by trial and error
that would work, one that the documentation on W3C.org contradicted,
and whose preferred solution did not work in more than one browser.

On an email list, you've got the additional problem of the fact that
the URL is being handed off by your email client, and it may be doing
something to the encoding before the URL gets to your browser (which
itself may re-interpret it behind the scenes).

I don't know the answer -- I gave up on it.