FIAndrew,

My advice would be NOT to break it up. I did this with an orchestra/opera piece that was 1600+ measures and the parts were a nightmare. A deadline shift allowed me to assemble the score from 10 files into one, and the part extraction was much smoother and more reasonably sane. The client I did this for used many complicated string divisi and instruments doubled on one staff one time and split across two staves at others. I didn't even want to think about putting the parts together from multiple files. Finale handles larger files pretty well (this file for me was 3.5 megs), altho there was some slowdown when editing, like inserting measures or updating the layout from an early page. But this was a small tradeoff for the part extraction phase. Again, if would NOT break it up.

Just my 2 cents.

J.D. Thomas
ThomaStudios
West Linn OR